C-ME in BC

Remember to take time to breathe; to appreciate all the beauty created by God around us; to be thankful for all the blessings; to love

Saturday, August 16, 2003

BLACKOUT

what a crazy time it's been these past few days...all starting on Thursday - 4:15pm...downtown, at the satellite clinic I'm in on Thursdays...yes, Thursdays. So at the end of the day, the power shut off...we were already leaving, so we thought 'no big deal, we'll just leave, and then take the subway home'...NOT!!!

Everything was OUT. Subway was down, cell phones didn't work...Nothing worked, except people's cars driving, and our feet walking. We walked and walked from Queen at Yonge to just North of Yonge and Davisville. Craziness. 4 of us girls walked with all our medical equipment and bags with notes/reference books along Yonge St, with periodic breaks for water, rest, ice cream, snacks and attempted phone calls, unsuccesful taxi waving, buses passing us loaded and tilted, and finally hitch-hiking...

On the way up, we ran into KevH walking on his way down to work at the hospital - hospitals have generators to back up any power outages, so they were still running...By Yonge and Davisville, it had been about 4 hrs (8:15pm) and one of the girls was able to get a ride just by asking some random young guy in a car with his windows down who said he could drive us back. I've never hitch-hiked, asking some random person to drive us back, but we were desperate and tired, so we got into the car. Turns out, this guy, a really nice guy, went to high school at Earl Haig and knew one of my friends, KevL...small world! This guy's name was Danny Flohback, who is a DJ and lived just north of our school, so it was on his way to drop us back off at school. We all really appreciate that he gave us a ride back, especially after many had said no, waved their heads/ignored us and just drove on. I have to say thanks to God for keeping us safe, making sure that there we weren't by ourselves at that time, and helping us get through that day, and providing us with a ride back.

Once I got back, I hung out in res with all my friends there in the dark, watching the stars, moon and mars, and then bbq'd a chicken over a bbq fire in the courtyard, and someone set up their tent in the courtyard too, and some of us played blackjack/cards. It was quite cool :)
However, sleeping in my room in res was NOT cool...it was soooo hot, and we had NO fans cuz no electricity...I felt I had to keep my door closed and locked (which limited air circulation) because the doors to res were mostly open since they're usually electronically operated for people to scan in.

Energy came back to us at about 1:30am - while I was sleeping (or trying to sleep in the heat), my fan turned on...thank God, so I was able to sleep better. Friday morning came, and the clinic was closed, so I didn't have to go to clinic that day, and then called work and said I wouldn't go in (tho they were open) since it was downtown and the subway's not up yet. Fellowship was cancelled too...so it was A DAY OFF!!!

DAY OFF: rested, ate breakfast, lunch, rested, watched the news, took a nap, rested, hung out at a friend's house nearby (with A/C), bbq in res, hung out in res with friends, listened to my old Chinese music cds...it was a nice day off, with energy back to our building (near the hospital, so we got it back earlier I think cuz other patches of TO had not got their energy back yet).

If you're reading this blog and you live in Ontario, or the Northeastern US and was affected by the blackout, I hope you were ok, and that all is back to normal and well again. A kudos/thanks to all those nice people out there who helped out others in need at that time - giving out water/lemon juice, playing their radios loud, directing traffic, giving rides...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home