Wacky Weather and Travel Plans etc...
storm after storm:
Well, it's been a couple weeks since I posted and now it's the New Year already! Most people around town are talking about the weather here. Every casual 'filler' conversation revolves around how the weather here has been so strange this winter so far. And it is. We had snow again this past couple days, it's so cold and icy and slippery everywhere. And with the twisty, winding, up & down roads, it's quite a danger to be out there. Anyhow, I think we've had 3 significant snowfalls, 2 major or almost major windstorms (with winds at 106 km/h; note that hurricane winds start at 113km/h), and the rainstorm a couple months ago. The BC lower mainland is being torn apart. Stanley park is in ruins with trees down everywhere, BC place stadium had its dome cover ripped off, people's houses have trees falling into them everywhere and the list goes on. What's going on? I have yet to see 'An Inconvenient Truth' which talks about Global Warming, and I think would be good to watch; but we as a human population had better wake up to the problems with the environment and pollution and DO something about it. We're getting away with it now, and Toronto's/Ontario's weather is warm and nice, but what's going to happen in the long run here when the polar ice caps melt and the average temperature's keep on rising and more desserts are created and floods occurring. It's going to bite us whether we like it or not, and the bite is going to hurt.
Skiing in the rainy slushy snowy cold:
On January 1, I went skiing for my weekly (Monday) night pass. It was borderling rain and snow weather (i.e. SLUSH coming down) and skiing that night was NOT fun at all. After 2 hrs of skiing, I everyone else around me was soaked inside out! My underwear, pants, shirt, socks, scarf, jacket, ski pants and gloves...everything...was soaked and COLD. Wet and cold is not a good combination. I braved one final difficult run to finish off my day there, but by the time I was at the top of the mountain, I could barely feel me fingers and toes - I was nearing frostbite. I went straight to the rental returns after that run barely being able to carry my skiis and having a lot of difficulty just moving my hands and fingers to remove my gloves and gear - it was very painful, and for a moment I was scared. My hands warmed up, but I had little sharp pains in my fingertips until the next day. I do not want to endure that again.
February Flight:
I'm flying home for Chinese New Year! yay! I just booked my flight earlier today. I got to use some of my points for the flight and there is a seat sale with west jet and so the cost of the flight is only about $282 roundtrip. I love saving up the points and using them :) Can't wait to visit home.
Dance classes
I've finally signed up for dance classes. I'll be taking beginner Bellydancing classes every Thursday evening after work for 8 weeks starting next Thursday. I've been putting this off since last Spring with so many 'excuses' and having no time or having travel plans interfere with classes but this time I am finally going to make time to go. Even though I'm travelling 1 wk and will miss 1 class, I had to do it or I'll keep postponing. I've heard that it's a lot of fun and good exercise. After this type of dance, I'm hoping to take Hip Hop classes.
storm after storm:
Well, it's been a couple weeks since I posted and now it's the New Year already! Most people around town are talking about the weather here. Every casual 'filler' conversation revolves around how the weather here has been so strange this winter so far. And it is. We had snow again this past couple days, it's so cold and icy and slippery everywhere. And with the twisty, winding, up & down roads, it's quite a danger to be out there. Anyhow, I think we've had 3 significant snowfalls, 2 major or almost major windstorms (with winds at 106 km/h; note that hurricane winds start at 113km/h), and the rainstorm a couple months ago. The BC lower mainland is being torn apart. Stanley park is in ruins with trees down everywhere, BC place stadium had its dome cover ripped off, people's houses have trees falling into them everywhere and the list goes on. What's going on? I have yet to see 'An Inconvenient Truth' which talks about Global Warming, and I think would be good to watch; but we as a human population had better wake up to the problems with the environment and pollution and DO something about it. We're getting away with it now, and Toronto's/Ontario's weather is warm and nice, but what's going to happen in the long run here when the polar ice caps melt and the average temperature's keep on rising and more desserts are created and floods occurring. It's going to bite us whether we like it or not, and the bite is going to hurt.
Skiing in the rainy slushy snowy cold:
On January 1, I went skiing for my weekly (Monday) night pass. It was borderling rain and snow weather (i.e. SLUSH coming down) and skiing that night was NOT fun at all. After 2 hrs of skiing, I everyone else around me was soaked inside out! My underwear, pants, shirt, socks, scarf, jacket, ski pants and gloves...everything...was soaked and COLD. Wet and cold is not a good combination. I braved one final difficult run to finish off my day there, but by the time I was at the top of the mountain, I could barely feel me fingers and toes - I was nearing frostbite. I went straight to the rental returns after that run barely being able to carry my skiis and having a lot of difficulty just moving my hands and fingers to remove my gloves and gear - it was very painful, and for a moment I was scared. My hands warmed up, but I had little sharp pains in my fingertips until the next day. I do not want to endure that again.
February Flight:
I'm flying home for Chinese New Year! yay! I just booked my flight earlier today. I got to use some of my points for the flight and there is a seat sale with west jet and so the cost of the flight is only about $282 roundtrip. I love saving up the points and using them :) Can't wait to visit home.
Dance classes
I've finally signed up for dance classes. I'll be taking beginner Bellydancing classes every Thursday evening after work for 8 weeks starting next Thursday. I've been putting this off since last Spring with so many 'excuses' and having no time or having travel plans interfere with classes but this time I am finally going to make time to go. Even though I'm travelling 1 wk and will miss 1 class, I had to do it or I'll keep postponing. I've heard that it's a lot of fun and good exercise. After this type of dance, I'm hoping to take Hip Hop classes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home