C-ME in BC

Remember to take time to breathe; to appreciate all the beauty created by God around us; to be thankful for all the blessings; to love

Saturday, December 16, 2006

ski day

wohoo! So because I ended up taking a day off from work yesterday instead of battling through the traffic, I went skiing instead. Went to Cypress Mountain and picked up my 'Adult Lesson Plan' Weekly Night skiing pass. Got my picture taken and for the first time in my life had (some sort of) a season pass for skiing! The weekly pass also includes an additional 5-day passes with lessons, and so I used 1 of my 5 day passes yesterday for lift and lesson. We got there at 1:15pm hoping to get in for the 1:30pm lesson, but because we had to rent the skis, that takes extra time so they turned us down for the lesson and the mountain was closing at 4pm (no night skiing because they were running on a backup deisel fuel since there was no electricity to the area due to the windstorm the night before). I had mentioned this was the first time at this ski mountain, so the guy there was really nice and made an exception allowing us to have a 2pm start time. We rushed to get the ski equipment and I hustled on over to the ski school area right at 2pm. I was the only one there and an instructor came out and took me out on the lesson for 2 hrs right til 4pm. It was awesome! It was basically a private lesson for me which usually runs at $30/lesson. The one-on-one instruction really made a difference in my ski technique because the instructor could pay more attention to how I was skiing and giving me pointers throughout. Plus get a tour of the mountain and ski runs and see amazing views of the mountains, ocean and city.

In all my >13yrs of skiing, I'd never had a private lesson. I've always felt that I've been stuck at the same level of skiing for a long time now, and since the parabolic shaped skis have come out, I never really "re-learned" how to ski on them so I've been using the same old techniques of skiing even though times have changed. Lessons are always good - and I think they will be very helful in getting me to the next level.
I started at Level 4 yesterday and am ready to tackle Level 5 (out of 6 Levels). I have 4 more day passes/lessons so I'll probably use some for skiing and maybe 1 for snowboarding (the pass also allows choice of renting skis or snowboard each time). I can't wait to go again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home