Does Dr. Chan speak English?
Reception - R :...uh, yes she does.
Enquiring Person - P: no, no really, does she speak fluent English?
R: yes, I believe she does.
P: no, no, like does Dr. Chan speak English smoothly without an accent? was born here?
R: I think so.
...I can't believe this conversation went on, but it did. I can somewhat understand as the person wanted to make sure that the Dr to be seen had no accent b/c his/her job is in ESL teaching, so he/she wanted to avoid having to try to understand what the Dr would be saying since he/she already works with that all day. But just because I'm "Dr. Chan" doesn't mean I can't speak Canadian English well...wassup with that?
...I wish I was there to say 'hi there, I'm Dr. Chan, nice to meet you, eh. I was born here in Canada, am 100% Canadian, with Chinese roots, hence the 'Dr. Chan' and yes, English is my 1st language'. And this would be spoken in 100% fluent Canadian English, eh.
Reception - R :...uh, yes she does.
Enquiring Person - P: no, no really, does she speak fluent English?
R: yes, I believe she does.
P: no, no, like does Dr. Chan speak English smoothly without an accent? was born here?
R: I think so.
...I can't believe this conversation went on, but it did. I can somewhat understand as the person wanted to make sure that the Dr to be seen had no accent b/c his/her job is in ESL teaching, so he/she wanted to avoid having to try to understand what the Dr would be saying since he/she already works with that all day. But just because I'm "Dr. Chan" doesn't mean I can't speak Canadian English well...wassup with that?
...I wish I was there to say 'hi there, I'm Dr. Chan, nice to meet you, eh. I was born here in Canada, am 100% Canadian, with Chinese roots, hence the 'Dr. Chan' and yes, English is my 1st language'. And this would be spoken in 100% fluent Canadian English, eh.

1 Comments:
At 9:49 a.m.,
chiquitawonder said…
As you said on my blog, I *hear* you on this one. This actually happens very very very frequently to people. Have heard several stories similar to this one myself. It's a shame, and makes my blood boil.
Post a Comment
<< Home