C-ME in BC

Remember to take time to breathe; to appreciate all the beauty created by God around us; to be thankful for all the blessings; to love

Sunday, June 29, 2003

Vacations are good. Vacations are necessary.

What a great week the past week was. Up in Collingwood from last Sunday to Friday, we went canoeing and paddleboating in Lake Huron, swimming outdoor and indoor, played tennis, watched "the Hulk", went to Casino Rama one night, watched "Saved By the Bell" everyday and rested, ate and slept. It was all good.

"Survivor": Friday, my last day there, was quite a day. The family went canoeing on a nice, windy day on Lake Huron. My bro, dad and mom went in one canoe, and my sister and I took the other. At first we were having fun, doing fine, paddling away, next thing we knew we were so far out in the huge lake and the winds were blowing and the waves were getting bigger. I was scared. We were scared. But we realized that if we didn't start paddling HARD and FAST, we'd just get farther and farther away, so paddled with our life as I yelled out "1-2, heeve-ho, let's-go...ahhhh!"...it was tuff and difficult and we wanted to give up, but as we got closer to the shore in increments, we built power and strength, and finally made it to the shore, 5 minutes after the closing of the docks and 20 minutes late from our end-time. Whew...at least we made it back safely. We survived ;)

For the rest of Friday, we also played tennis and swam, shopped a bit, and had a very nice home-cooked seafood dinner back at the resort. That was nice. I was tired by the time my parents and I drove back to Burlington (2am). My bro and sister stayed until today (Sunday).

Saturday: I drove out to TO to take a course (Sat-Sun), and went to Andy & Karen's wedding (congratulations!!). Then after my course, I went to see "Finding Nemo" with a friend at Fairview Mall (Rainbow Cinemas) -- Gooooood movie! I recommend it to all people, young and old, small and tall...After the movie, we went to First Markham Place to have some Pho, and then to "Liu's 1 Rest." (Hui Lau San)...my favourite Chinesee dessert place - so yummy :) We got a purple rice tapioca with coconut milk and a mango-topped mango-pudding...mmmm....mango....

Sunday: course all day. We had a potluck lunch since it was the last day of the last module for the completion of the course (yay!). Good food. I made a Chinese vegetable (bok choy) stirfry with green/red peppers and garlic/tamari soy sauce.

After my course, my sister and I went to Promenade Mall for the Summer Village Festival. I met up with a friend there too, and we all walked around a bit, and then sat to watch a live band play some cool Chinese and English songs. We had just missed my brother and his groupie breakdance for everyone. My parents and their friends saw it (before they went to their CN tower dinner) and said they danced really well. The band ("Storm") was quite good. Very talented! When they sang the Evanescence song, it was really good too. Most the other songs were in Mandarin and the whole Festival was mostly Mandarin speaking cuz it was more a Taiwan Fundraiser too. It was cool - reminded me of Taiwan. I got a "snowy ice dessert" ('shue hua bing', or just bing') with red bean, green bean and jelly. Very nice. My sister got "little egg things" ('guy dahn jye') and good 'ol bubble tea ('zhen zhu nye cha') -- ok, I know these pinyins are aweful, but I'm trying my best, eheh...

And when we left to go to the car, it started pouring on us and we got so wet (no umbrella). aiyah. So we just drove home (to Burlington). Came back, watched some Chinese TV shows and Simpsons, and now just blogging.

That's all folks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home