Toronto Freeways, Vancouver Highways
Toronto Freeways: Nice. Smooth, straight, wide, many lanes. When there is no traffic, driving on Toronto's freeways (403, 401, QEW) is just great. I really like driving the smooth drive with a smooth car when it's later at night post-rush hour. One can hit 14o kph and it's smooth sailing...not me of course, but I see other drivers whizzing by.
Vancouver Highways: What a difference it is from Vancouver's highways. I go at 100 kph at most now with the 90 limit there, but usually stick to the 90 limit. The roads are winding, hilly and curvy...not ideal for high speeds. Actually, really really dangerous for high speeds. Driving to fast will inevitably around the bend on the highway will overcome the centripetal force and swing you out to the other lane or off the road into a ditch or off the mountain or off a bridge and in the case of trucks, they flip over - Scary, if you think about it!
It's a different kind of enjoyment driving in Vancouver. I enjoy the scenery while I drive...Driving and seeing huge mountains, the ocean and pretty city views. It's definitely meant to be driven at a slower pace.
Of course, in rush hour and traffic driving, I prefer Vancouver's traffic. Toronto's rush hour traffic is insane. For me, it could take 2+hrs to get to Toronto from home what normally would take 45min. In Vancouver, because it's smaller too, it would take an extra 15-20 min usually, but not more than 1hr extra.
Although there was this one morning where there was an 'incident' at Lion's Gate Bridge (a man was wanting to jump), so they had to close the main bridge that people travel on to get to work in downtown. They diverted that rush hour traffic to the north shore hwy which takes you to another bridge that can head downtown, so there was a MASS accumulation of cars on the road. That day, I started at 8:30am (ealier) instead of 9am, so I left at 7:30am. It normally takes me 20-25 min (no traffic) to get to work or 40-45 min (with traffic), so I accounted for traffic; but for this day with the diverted traffic, I got to work at 9am. I was 'on time' for a normal day, but missed the whole first appointment. The person understood and knew about the situation, so it turned out ok. After that, I thought I should find a place closer to work to reduce the commute, but I still ended up finding a place almost the same distance, so I'll still be driving the same amount of time with the potential of crazy traffic. If only I started work at 10am...what a difference that would make!
Toronto Freeways: Nice. Smooth, straight, wide, many lanes. When there is no traffic, driving on Toronto's freeways (403, 401, QEW) is just great. I really like driving the smooth drive with a smooth car when it's later at night post-rush hour. One can hit 14o kph and it's smooth sailing...not me of course, but I see other drivers whizzing by.
Vancouver Highways: What a difference it is from Vancouver's highways. I go at 100 kph at most now with the 90 limit there, but usually stick to the 90 limit. The roads are winding, hilly and curvy...not ideal for high speeds. Actually, really really dangerous for high speeds. Driving to fast will inevitably around the bend on the highway will overcome the centripetal force and swing you out to the other lane or off the road into a ditch or off the mountain or off a bridge and in the case of trucks, they flip over - Scary, if you think about it!
It's a different kind of enjoyment driving in Vancouver. I enjoy the scenery while I drive...Driving and seeing huge mountains, the ocean and pretty city views. It's definitely meant to be driven at a slower pace.
Of course, in rush hour and traffic driving, I prefer Vancouver's traffic. Toronto's rush hour traffic is insane. For me, it could take 2+hrs to get to Toronto from home what normally would take 45min. In Vancouver, because it's smaller too, it would take an extra 15-20 min usually, but not more than 1hr extra.
Although there was this one morning where there was an 'incident' at Lion's Gate Bridge (a man was wanting to jump), so they had to close the main bridge that people travel on to get to work in downtown. They diverted that rush hour traffic to the north shore hwy which takes you to another bridge that can head downtown, so there was a MASS accumulation of cars on the road. That day, I started at 8:30am (ealier) instead of 9am, so I left at 7:30am. It normally takes me 20-25 min (no traffic) to get to work or 40-45 min (with traffic), so I accounted for traffic; but for this day with the diverted traffic, I got to work at 9am. I was 'on time' for a normal day, but missed the whole first appointment. The person understood and knew about the situation, so it turned out ok. After that, I thought I should find a place closer to work to reduce the commute, but I still ended up finding a place almost the same distance, so I'll still be driving the same amount of time with the potential of crazy traffic. If only I started work at 10am...what a difference that would make!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home