C-ME in BC

Remember to take time to breathe; to appreciate all the beauty created by God around us; to be thankful for all the blessings; to love

Sunday, January 29, 2006

"Hit the Side of the Road"

That's what came to mind when trying to translate "Da Been Loe" which is the Cantonese way of saying Hot Pot. Da = Hit, Been = Side, Loe = Road...well, at least by the sound of the word it sounds like that to a CBC.

I know I've blogged about this before, but I really enjoy Hot Pot, especially at home. Sitting around the table, throwing in the cut meats, fish balls, beef balls, various Chinese veggies, shrimp/other seafood, noodles and waiting for them to boil and cook. Then I pick what I want out of the shared pot and dip it into my raw egg/soy sauce/sesame oil/sa-cha-sauce/chilli combo mix. The dip/sauce is what makes hot pot ultimate for me. Without the egg & soysauce essentials, I'm lost. I would know where to put the food, how to eat it, or how to enjoy it. For some reason, I really need that part to make it complete. No egg/soysauce, no hot pot.

Well, it's obvious what we had tonight for Chinese New Year's dinner.

Space Junk
Why is it so rainy here too? I came to Toronto thinking I'd be smothered in snow, it would be white everywhere and I'd be freezing my butt off like every other winter I've spent here over the many years, especially in January. But it's not. The weather so far has been equivalent to Vancouver - mild and rainy. Greenhouse effect and global warming, I wonder?

On that note, there was a picture of the earth on the cover of a Maclean's magazine a couple weeks ago (or just last week?) where the digital picture showed how earth was surrounded by a bunch of little dots all around it. Each dot represented "space junk" of which 90% is human made. It was a crazy picture and can't imagine what all that junk is, but it's there and it can't be good for earth. I wonder: Will the next shuttle that is sent to space be one that will 'clear' this space junk and pretty much move it to another part of the universe so that it's no longer in the earth's orbit and thus will no longer be a problem to earthlings. Then, soon after that, the excess garbage in the landfills and oceans will be flying right into space too. What else will be flown out and left in this vast universe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home