visitors
The past few weeks has been busy with my sister visiting and with friends visiting too. My sister was here around the end of August and we went around town to tour around. We went to the Richmond night market (my first time there too) and walked around. She had just come back from Asia inc Taiwan so it was nothing new for her. Crowded there. I don't really like Asian crowds where it's so squishy and people knocking into you wherever you are. I did like the 'Chua Bing' (shaved ice) there. Really good with the mango and the passionfruit toppings. They had 'little eats' there and by the end of the night (1/2 hr before closing), the stall owners would be YELLING out their cheap discounted foods...ONE DOLLA ONE DOLLA ONE DOLLAHHHH!!! Come buy come buy!! It was annoying and funny. I was full so I didn't buy :P
We also went to Granville Island for some local shops and the PNE (like CNE but smaller) but didn't go on rides. Had some all-you-can-eat Sushi buffet (mmmm...), and just showed her around my 'hood'...where I grocery shop, hang out etc...all in all, we had a fun time.
I had another friend here over the long weekend and we went to the night market (again for me) and we frequented Granville Island and just hung out there eating pruscuitto and speck (fancy smoked meats) with brie and other cheeses. That's the first time I had tried those 'fancy meats'...very good. We also met up with one of her friends living here who's just starting law school. It was an interesting time cuz her friend (a guy) was sharing that he is planning to propose to his girlfriend sometime next year or later and so most of the time my friend (a girl) who's friends with his girlfriend kept asking him so many things about it and seeing how she could help out and give some ideas in this whole thing. It was just funny to watch.
I'm ready to rest for a bit.
The past few weeks has been busy with my sister visiting and with friends visiting too. My sister was here around the end of August and we went around town to tour around. We went to the Richmond night market (my first time there too) and walked around. She had just come back from Asia inc Taiwan so it was nothing new for her. Crowded there. I don't really like Asian crowds where it's so squishy and people knocking into you wherever you are. I did like the 'Chua Bing' (shaved ice) there. Really good with the mango and the passionfruit toppings. They had 'little eats' there and by the end of the night (1/2 hr before closing), the stall owners would be YELLING out their cheap discounted foods...ONE DOLLA ONE DOLLA ONE DOLLAHHHH!!! Come buy come buy!! It was annoying and funny. I was full so I didn't buy :P
We also went to Granville Island for some local shops and the PNE (like CNE but smaller) but didn't go on rides. Had some all-you-can-eat Sushi buffet (mmmm...), and just showed her around my 'hood'...where I grocery shop, hang out etc...all in all, we had a fun time.
My sister brought back a bunch of clothes and accessories for me which was a very good update/addition to my wardrobe; Clothes from Taiwan and Hong Kong always fit me much better! She also bought me a few Mandarin CDs. I've been SOOO out of the loop with the 'Chinese' culture scene these days (music, movies, politics, economics, everything) so I have no idea what's going on now; plus I've noticed my Chinese SUCKS big time now. I can barely speak Cantonese smoothly now and find that I'm bumbling for words when I'm talking (or should I say TRYING to speak). My Mandarin has been steady/ok with not such a bad decline - I have a bit more practice with that...but Cantonese...shameful. I need some HK movies, or music or a TVB channel or something like what I had back at home. Anyhow, back to the CDs: I got the new David Tao CD 'Too Beautiful', Jay Chou's 'November Chopin' and the most recent Amei CD. I love the David Tao and Jay Chou CDs...they're awesome. My favourite songs are the first songs on both cds. David Tao's version of the classic "Wang Bu Liao" - Can't get you outta my mind, is so cool and amazing how he rearranged the music and played with the lyrics; and I really like the instrumental parts of Jay's CD - just relaxing to listen to.
I had another friend here over the long weekend and we went to the night market (again for me) and we frequented Granville Island and just hung out there eating pruscuitto and speck (fancy smoked meats) with brie and other cheeses. That's the first time I had tried those 'fancy meats'...very good. We also met up with one of her friends living here who's just starting law school. It was an interesting time cuz her friend (a guy) was sharing that he is planning to propose to his girlfriend sometime next year or later and so most of the time my friend (a girl) who's friends with his girlfriend kept asking him so many things about it and seeing how she could help out and give some ideas in this whole thing. It was just funny to watch.
I'm ready to rest for a bit.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home