Best Friends and Dating?
Now here's the question that seems to pop up during hang out sessions with friends quite often...Can a guy and a girl be best friends and stay completely platonic...? Is this possible? It may seem so, but after several discussions there is a general conclusion/concensus that it really is not possible if we speak truthfully. When we say platonic, we mean that there is NOT even a *thought* that crosses one's mind that the other person (your best friend) is a 'potential' for something more than just a friend, that there may be some attraction or something. It's not possible, because there's always the possibility or that potential for something to happen, as platonic as it may be. And I think especially with best friends, the potential is there even more because you're probably qutie compatible already, and get along and have fun together. The potential is there. Why else is it generally recommended, especially in Christian circles, that if you go to a counsellor or mentor or advisor, that it be done with the same sex?? Because there is always that potential.
Would you date your best friend (if they were of the opposite sex)?
[please note that I'm speaking of heterosexual relations only here]
Now here's the question that seems to pop up during hang out sessions with friends quite often...Can a guy and a girl be best friends and stay completely platonic...? Is this possible? It may seem so, but after several discussions there is a general conclusion/concensus that it really is not possible if we speak truthfully. When we say platonic, we mean that there is NOT even a *thought* that crosses one's mind that the other person (your best friend) is a 'potential' for something more than just a friend, that there may be some attraction or something. It's not possible, because there's always the possibility or that potential for something to happen, as platonic as it may be. And I think especially with best friends, the potential is there even more because you're probably qutie compatible already, and get along and have fun together. The potential is there. Why else is it generally recommended, especially in Christian circles, that if you go to a counsellor or mentor or advisor, that it be done with the same sex?? Because there is always that potential.
Would you date your best friend (if they were of the opposite sex)?
[please note that I'm speaking of heterosexual relations only here]

2 Comments:
At 11:34 p.m.,
akt said…
I LOVE your template! Can I steal it for mine :) j/k Your shade of pink is better than mine..by far!
My opinion - by your definition, No, I think the thought will cross one person's mind; but doesn't mean that anything will come of it; so the thought can pass, and the people will overcome it in their minds and continue on the friendship until it gets beyond the point of no return - where they will always remains as good friends / even brother/sister type and anything beyond would then be considered weird..
At 3:26 p.m.,
C said…
well, I know what you're saying...but you never know - I guess I'm looking more at just the state of the mind and that potential for just the thought of it crossing the minds of two best friends, not about whether or not they actually act upon it. I think if they're that good of friends, it must have crossed their minds, and for that second in time, they weren't "platonic" in thoughts. And yes, it can be weird, especially if you're like brother and sister, but that stage can be surpassed because you really are NOT brother and sister - I've seen it happen...
Post a Comment
<< Home