C-ME in BC

Remember to take time to breathe; to appreciate all the beauty created by God around us; to be thankful for all the blessings; to love

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

You know you're looking good/fine when (these are some of the comments I got on Saturday at the formal, or the day after):-
"Wow!..." (me: what?)
-"You look great!"..."seriously" (me: oh, so you're not serious at other times?)
-"Charlene, is that you?!" (me: yah, who else would I be?)
-(ppl walk past me, then realize it's me) "OMG...I didn't even recognize you...wow!" (me: ok, is that a good or bad thing now?)
-"I'm so shocked" (me: huh?)
-"You look so awesome!" (me: thanks! you too!)
-"Someone told me, I just had to come look at you...!" (me: wow, ok...I'm right here)
-"Look at that hair, oooh, and I love your dress!" (me: yes, look at my hair, and I love your dress too)
-"Charlene...! I heard you stole the show last night!" (me: really??! where'd you hear that from??)
-"You looked amazing last night!!" (me: I did? I don't remember anymore...)
-"Did you see all those guys looking at you last night?...all 'fairy-eyed' and all..." (me: yah, right...No, I didn't even notice...)

-Me: smile, and say thank you everytime...and then compliment on the person complimenting...(in the past, I would have been more 'Chinese', and replied: "me, oh, no no, I don't look nice, what are you talking about? you're the one who looks great...etc - but I thought, I'll just say thanks and keep the conversation more positive on both ends).
-Me thinking: well, that's nice, I'm glad I look nice, but also, do I really look that different? can nice hair, make up and a nice dress really make that huge a difference in how someone looks...I guess it can/does. I don't usually ever dress up this much, so I guess that change can 'shock' ppl.
-My thoughts: It was fun; it's always fun to dress-up, look nice and have ppl appreciate that, but all that is temporary. That kind of made-up external beauty doesn't last (the next day at church, I was so tired, and all that I looked like the night before was gone...

You see, that's what I like about God...He doesn't care if I look good or crappy externally, if I'm wearing make-up or not, if I'm wearing a dress or jeans, if my hair is combed or messy, if I smell nice or plain...He didn't look down from heaven that night of the formal to see how I looked externally at all (whether I was 'successful' at looking good, or 'unsuccessful' and made myself a mess of a look), but He looked down at that time as He does at all other times: to see how I'm doing inside, care about me (whether I'm 'good' or 'crappy'), and remind me that He's continuously working in me to be a better person in His image - now that's true beauty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home