C-ME in BC

Remember to take time to breathe; to appreciate all the beauty created by God around us; to be thankful for all the blessings; to love

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

'Grown ups' are funny.
(Now, when I say 'grown ups', I refer to those that are 'older' like in their 40's and 50's m/b with families/kids - not 'adults' in general like me in my 20's).
So yah, they're funny...

My dad's 4th (older) sister is in town from Hong Kong until Saturday, and last night I went for a Chinese dinner out with them. When I got into the car, I spoke mostly Chinese, but came to parts that were just way easier to say in English, so I'd speak in English. Then, I got a 'lecture' in the car from my aunt that I shouldn't speak English cuz she doesn't understand it and that it's rude to do that. I understand that. So from that point on, I only spoke Chinese, and when I didn't know how to say something in Chinese, I didn't bother anymore to try to figure it out, talk slowly, or ask my dad to translate anymore.

So there we were, in the restaurant, happily eating away, and my dad and aunt start chatting away in 'Chiu Chow' (a Chinese dialect - that I don't understand really)...and this is occuring for like 15 min straight, so I'm sitting there going 'hmmm...wonders who's rude now'...(of course, I didn't say that out loud)...I think my dad could sense what I was thinking cuz he'd look at me and chuckle, and then try to translate quickly on the spot for me, but she was talking sooo fast, it was almost impossible...well, I guess they're the 'grown ups', so they can do what they like.

I was cool with that. It's cool that they could speak in their dialect cuz I know my dad misses that sometimes, since none of us in our family speak that. It's like tapping back into his roots again when he does. So in that time, I just kept eating and staring off and watching the TV in the distance since they had the Fairchild TV station on, and good 'ol TVB Chinese Series (soaps) were on. We stayed there so long, I ended getting to watch 2 different episodes - I love that! That's me 'tapping' into my roots somewhat I guess :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home